Morocco is the only African country with both the Atlantic and the Mediterranean Sea coasts. It is one of the safest beautiful countries to travel to and is becoming famous internationally as a surf country. In the following, we are listing the best surf destinations in Morocco.
International Surf Competitions in Morocco
In 2020, the Men’s Qualifying Series of the World Surf League was held in Taghazout Beach from January 25 to February 1. Moroccan surfers got a chance to compete at a high level as well as to attract more tourists and pro surfers from all over the world like :
Best surf Destinations in Morocco
There are many surfing spots in Taghazout village and surrounding :
- Imsouane: is a small town with two amazing surfing spots (Cathedral and The Bay) and is known for its tranquility and perfect waves for surfing.
- Tamri: a beautiful big exposed beach break suitable for all levels. It is located between Boilers and imsouane spots ( 7km from boilers spot).
- Boilers: The spot is a 20minute drive from Taghazout village towards Tamri.
- Killers point One of the most consistent point breaks in Taghazout.
- Desert point: It is a small surf camp located at Moknari village, 10 minutes drive from Taghazout.
- Mysteries: is also located in the Taghazout area.
- Anchor point: this spot is 10Km from Tamraght and 25km from Agadir city.
- Hash point.
- Panorama’s point.
- Banana Beach: located near Aourir Village called also the Banana village because there are many banana plantations.
- Devil’s Rocket.
The Mogador’s island filters the swell and lets beautiful waves come to surfers. In general, from October to April, you have large swells produced by the Atlantic storms offering excellent wave conditions between 1 and 3m.
Essaouira and surrounding spots : Essaouira beach and Sidi Kaouki.
Safi wave feeds the most fantasy among the spots string in Morocco and is one of the best waves in the world ” Rass Lafâa ” which means ” The head of the snake “.
Is surfing in Morocco safe?
Morocco as a whole is a very safe country to enjoy a surfing trip. In 2019, Nearly 13 million tourists visited Morocco, making it one of the most visited countries in Africa. With this high number of visits, the percentage of crime in Morocco is still extremely low.
Surfing in Morocco or anywhere else in the world, there are general safety rules you have to take into account. You should always surf with a partner more experienced than you, you surf in areas corresponding to your skills level and try to ask locals about the wind, swell, and tides conditions before going to surf.
When can I surf in Morocco?
The surfing season in Morocco begins in September and continues until April. From December to March, the country attracts more experienced surfers, especially from Europe, and is the best time to surf in Morocco thanks to the perfect winds and the highest level of waves.
Do I need a wetsuit to surf in Morocco?
During summer, you can surf without a wetsuit, and in winter, you will need it.
Surf Schools in Morocco?
Morocco is among the best surf destinations in the world and in all its surfing coastal towns, there are many surfing camps and schools.